Like This

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Cook’s Brut Grand Reserve: Review

Cook’s Champagne Cellars
Madera, California, USA


11.5% abv
They say it has a ‘special dosage of Brandy’

Appearance: crystal water with plenty of bubbles


Aroma: citrus … and I am thinking of a dusty citrus … no … toasted white bread and a soft citrus peel – Yes. With a touch of floral.

Flavors/Mouthfeel: on the bottle it says, ‘hint of delicate vanilla’ – a little redundant.  Maybe if there was a hint of vanilla I might pick it up or maybe if the vanilla was just delicate I might pick up the aroma and/or flavor of vanilla … but, no … it had to be a ‘hint of delicate vanilla’ and I don’t get it at all.  No vanilla for me.  I pick up white bread on the front with apple and then the bubbles explode on the palate followed by dry citrus meat and tart apple on the mid and finish along with plenty of effervescence to keep it lively; nice tartness that lingers on the palate for a minute or so; damn, I think I noticed a ‘hint of delicate vanilla’ as I was trying to figure out the aftertaste … maybe it was a delicate hint of vanilla … a whiff … a trace … a vestige …


To the Point: for a cheap sparkling wine this is not all too bad; if you are having a big group this should do; if you are looking for an everyday type of sparkling wine this should do; if you are looking for a sparkling wine to go with a fruit tray or salad this should do;


Side Note: to me Champagne is like Single Malt Scotch.  Some people go by price to say, this is a great … fill in the blank.   The guys at the cigar store did it with Single Malt Scotch and Blended Scotch … they said, ‘Johnny Walker Blue Label was the best and they could pick it out of any line up of Scotch.’  So, I called their lame little bluff (knowing they would never buy Blue for $200 a bottle) I said, I’ll buy five or six different Scotches and you could never tell which one is Blue.  Well, we did a blind tasting and Blue was ranked #5 out of 6 and Macallan 10 was the number one pick and nobody picked the right name for it – but, they liked it the best.  I think Champagne is the same thing.  With opened eyes and know the price they pick they fancy one; with a blind tasting … you would have a different result.  


No comments:

Post a Comment