Like This

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

J. Lohr 2008 Seven Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon: Review


J. Lohr Winery
Produced at Paso Robles, California
Bottled at San Jose, California
13.5% abv
78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Petit Sirah, 4% Syrah, 3% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot, 2% Cab Franc, 1% other reds
$20.49 a bottle – I believe I bought this bottle about this time last year at the local Kroger grocery store.
Visit this link to read about this wine -

The last few wines just have not done the trick.  Today, I opened a Norton 07 Malbec before dinner and it had to be one of the worst Malbecs that I have ever had.  Needless to say, I watered the grass with that bottle.  I sure hope I have a winner here.

Appearance: this is one dense wine color; deep, deep garnet; almost black; by the color I say I am in for a treat.

Aroma: cherry and berry like and I cannot put my finger on the other note but, the aromas come together for a nice and light bouquet.  I thought it would be a little bolder from the appearance.

Here is what they say on the bottle for the aroma, “cherry, blueberry, violet, and vanilla.”

Flavors: Oh, this is nice, see what they say about the aroma; well that is what I taste.  Fresh cherry and blueberry with a touch of black currant, then there is a touch of violet on the mid-palate and a hint of vanilla that swirls around. 

On the second glass the wine starts to open up a little with a light toasty oak and a soft dark berry note coming through – along with the other tasty notes from before.

Mouthfeel: super sexy smooth

My Strength Rating: 4 – mild-medium

To the Point: to me not that complex but, it is very tasty and it does have a very light bouquet.  This would be a good choice before dinner; maybe an everyday wine; having a few friends over – serve this J. Lohr Cab.

If you were going to have this with dinner I would pair this with a Barbeque glazed salmon, pecan encrusted rainbow trout, a lighter meat like filet mignon straight up or with a cherry sauce.  

No comments:

Post a Comment