Like This

Friday, September 9, 2011

2896 Langley 2007: Review


Bowers Harbor Vineyards
Old Mission Peninsula
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Estate grown grapes
Meritage: 55% Cabernet Franc, 43% Merlot, and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon
bowersharbor.com
13.5% abv
$45.00 a bottle

We spent a couple of hours at this winery because we bought two flights of wine, one flight of whites and the second reds.  We also got a cheese spread and whitefish pate.  We then copped a squat on the porch and enjoyed a beautiful day. 

When sampling flights of wine it is a good idea to write some notes to which ones you liked and why.  Then, you can make up your mind on which one or ones you want to buy. 

I really liked this one in the flight sampling so; I sure hope it is what I remember it to be. 

I do know this going into this review – I personally like a Meritage that has the Cabernet Franc as the highest percentage grape.

Appearance: deep garnet with a nice purple hue

Aroma: rich berry and cherry, touch of spice, slightly earthy and a bit smoky.  As the wine open the spice livens up a little.  Overall, the Langley has a very pleasing bouquet.  I would not call it bold – I would call this sophisticated. 

Flavors: Oh yes, this is one tasty treat.  The flavors really follow the nose.  Mulberries, currants, cherries, touch of spice that is a little reminiscent of brown spices.  There is a swirl of mineral soil and the right touch of oak.

Mouthfeel: I called the aroma sophisticated then; I just have to call the mouthfeel … sophisticated as well.   While the texture is smooth there is a little alcohol warm on the finish.  Thinking of the finish the aftertaste is not overpowering.  There is a big lingering dark berry aftertaste.  The tannins good to me but, the acidity seems a tad high.  I think this wine should have some good aging potential. 

My Strength Rating: 6.5

To the Point: Is this worth the $45.oo price tag?  To me, YES.  This is a nice sophisticated Meritage.  A very pleasing bouquet and plenty of flavors.  I will buy more of this bottle for aging.   

(I won’t be buying the 2007.  I just checked their web site and it looks to be sold out and they have the 2008 on the shelf.)

I think my dinner plans for tomorrow will be grilled lamb paired with the second half of this bottle.  Tonight I am going to kick back and just enjoy my next glass with a Kristoff Maduro Cigar.  I also have a chunk of dark chocolate pecan bark from Kilwins and this is tasty with the wine and cigar. 

1 comment:

  1. RE:Meritage: 55% Cabernet Franc, 43% Merlot, and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon

    "Meritage" is not synonymous with "blend", this wine is not a meritage as it is not comprised of at least 75% one varietal.

    ReplyDelete