Like This

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

the turk 2005 Blend: Review

What a great blend - 50% Shiraz, 28% Grenache, 16% cabernet, 6% mourvedre
By: Turkey Flat Vineyards
Barossa Valley
Australia
14.5%abv
turkeyflat

I remember a couple of years ago Carl, a friend from the cigar store, was raving about this bottle of wine. I said, ‘Let’s try it.’ The response was, ‘I can’t find it.’ Then, someone did find some and brought in a bottle. We all sampled the wine and everybody was in agreement, “This is really good!”

I finally got Jim Lutfy, from the Fine Wine Source (Livonia, Michigan), to get me a case last year. I am now down to my last three bottles. This is the farewell tour, so to say then. The 2005 turk was an excellent blend.

I am looking forward to the 2006, which is a different blend consisting of: 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Shiraz, 24% Mourvedre, and 18% Grenache.

the turk 2005 has a deep purple color. The bouquet is absolutely wonderful. The dark berries and fruit along with the spices hit the nose and I am in red wine heaven. As the wine hits the tongue I realize there is a smorgasbord of flavors to be had. The two dominant notes to me; dark berries and pepper (like a fine ground black pepper.) Then, the earthy and smoky style kicks in to coat the palate with red wine delight. Then, as I swallow that last sip, I taste the spice and peppery notes on the back of the palate.

Let me try to explain the mouthfeel. You know how your mouth gets coated from a piece of … let’s say 70% dark chocolate.  It just covers every square inch of your mouth. That is what I experience from this wine. It has that nice almost jammy feel on the palate.

The smokiness, the variety of berries, the spices, the earthy quality, the pepper – wow, this wine has some complexity.

If you can find a bottle of the 05 – I say, “BUY IT.”

And, Jimmy, can you get me the 06?

No comments:

Post a Comment