Like This

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Black Star Vintners Select 2010: Review


Black Star Farms
Suttons Day, Michigan, USA
Merlot based blend; made from ‘micro-lots’
58% Cabernet Franc, 28% Merlot, 7% Syrah, 3% Regent
12% abv
$25.00 a bottle


Appearance: rich ruby body

Aroma: fruity all the way; berry bowl mixture with reds leading the way.

Flavors: this is just not fruit forward – it is just fruit; red berries, reminding me of raspberry, pomegranate, sweet cherry, red currant; soft dark berries, reminding me of boysenberry, black currant, and blue berry.  This is just a smorgasbord of berries. 

Mouthfeel: lacks some depth or structure to me; slight watery edge; mild-medium

Strength Rating: 4/3.5 – mild-medium body

To the Point: okay it is complex in its berry profile but, it is simple overall – it is just … berries.  A little too berry juice like.  With that much Cab Franc I would like a little better earthy style and blackberry.  To me it lacks acidity and tannic structure.  I also like it – I think it should be a good red on a summer day.  A good red to have with fish, chicken, and other light fare that has a red sauce base.  This might be good with my Salmon smothered in Tomato Bacon Dressing. 

I bought three bottles so I’ll check on the next bottle - next year!  Hopefully some aging might help here but, I doubt it … for it lacks acidity and tannins.  I would say, enjoy this wine over the next two years and just enjoy the berries. 

Would I buy this again?  No. Not with the 25 dollar price – 15 bucks sure. 

I really liked their 08 Vintners Select.  It was 30 bucks a bottle and I said, buy … buy … and buy.  Oh the beauty of handmade natural products. 



No comments:

Post a Comment