Like This

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sanson Estate Bird Dog Red 2005: Review


13.5% abv
$20.00 a bottle
Sanson Estate Winery
9236 Walker Road
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Cabernet Franc 35%, Merlot 25%
My Strength Rating: 5.5

When I opened this bottle of wine it was like I just walked into a winery.  The aroma filled the air with fresh berries, oak, and earth.  The taste follows the nose.  The red and black currant like notes with sweet raspberry and Bing cherry flavors make for a tasty berry experience.  A pleasing light oak and delicate earthy profile adds some structure.  

The mouthfeel is smooth.  This blend leaves a light aftertaste of berries and has a fairly clean aftertaste for a red wine.   

Overall, this is a tasty blend.  I tried this wine when I went to the London, Ontario Wine and Food Show and it caught my palate.  So, when I got home I made some time to head on over to this winery.  Being in southeastern Michigan I am just a hop, skip, and jump from Amherstburg, Ontario.  I visited the Sanson Winery and bought 4 bottles of this wine and several other bottles.

1 comment:

  1. Opened a bottle last night (8-24) and I have to say I really like this wine. I am finishing the bottle tonight and the wine is displaying a big time rich dark chocolate nose - this is Yummy.

    ReplyDelete