Like This

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Korbel California Champagne Brut: Review

12 % abv
F. Korbel & Bros. Inc.
Guerneville, California, USA
Sonoma County
$14.00

I have always liked the Korbel’s Brut Champagne for the under $20.00 selection. I like its dry yet crisp texture and there is a good supply of bubbles. Let’s take a look.

A nice bright straw color with some fine bubbles. The overall bouquet is light with a dash of spice. The texture is crisp and the mouthfeel is dry – wow, I could remember! Have not lost it yet! The flavor is like spiced pears and I get a slight peppery feel. There is a fresh citrus twang on the palate. I think I’ll call it pink peppercorn to cover the sweetness in the taste.

While, the effervescence is firm on the start, it does fade when I get to the bottom of the glass. Even though the bubbles take a dive the taste is still interesting enough to finish the last sip or two.

If I was faced with the Barefoot or the Korbel Choice - I would go with the Korbel. The Barefoot was one dimensional: tart apple.  The Korbel had an overall better taste: a zip of citrus, spiced pear, and pink peppercorn.  It also had a better 'last' sip when the bubbles all ran dry.

Read: Korbel Sweet Cuvee Review

2 comments:

  1. I was not at all impressed with Korbel brut but rather disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Effervescent, dry, got body. fruity, twang, peppery, yeah, I guess that's it.

    ReplyDelete