Like This

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Layer Cake Shiraz 2008

South Australia
14.9% abv

Here are the tasting notes from their web site: “Dark, dense and creamy, complex aromas of black plum, Bing cherry, blackberry and pepper merge with licorice, tobacco, mocha and dark chocolate. This is one inky Shiraz; an explosion of dark, super ripe, wild blackberry, with a touch of cigar box finishing with a mélange of exotic spices. A pure fruit bomb…complete from attack through a long, lingering finish.”

When I think of inky I think of Zinfandels. I could see how one may describe it that way but, I would call it a strong earthy quality. The blackberry and other dark fruits just coat the palate for a thick mouthfeel. The spices are tasty and the dark chocolate just add to this complex Shiraz. This is a must buy. Plan to pair this with game meats, a big porterhouse steak or other full flavored meals. I truly enjoyed this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment