Like This

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Bry’s Estate Cab/Merlot: Review



Bry’s Estate Vineyard & Winery
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Old Mission Peninsula
13.5% abv
$20.90 with discount
$22.00
50% Cabernet Sauvignon and 50% Merlot
Aged 5 months in French Oak
On their web site they call it 2009 but, there is no vintage date on the two bottles I bought. 

Appearance: deep crimson

Aroma: ripe dark berries with the right touch of spice box. 

Flavors: tasty dark berry notes of blackberry, black current, mulberry, and blueberry – ok you get the picture.  You can play the game ‘what berry do you taste?’ with this wine.  Delicate spice box with a dash of pink and white peppercorn. 

Mouthfeel: the tannins seem in line and the acidity level is in check for a good medium-full mouthfeel.  Coats the palate without being overwhelming while leaving a flavorful aftertaste. 

Toward the end of my second glass the acidity on the finish seemed to be getting a tad strong and on a sip here and there the wine seemed thin.  I did not notice this on the first glass. 

I’ll be saving this bottle to finish off tomorrow.  I’ll add any updates. 

My Strength Rating: 6 – very flavorful with a pleasing aftertaste.

To the Point: a tasty blend.  With just being released on 7-15-11 this should be a good one to pick-up over the next couple of years.  I am going to plan to buy more and follow its aging here on this blog.    

Next Day: yesterday the wine had the big dark berries on the nose and the palate and the spice was on the delicate side of town.  Today, I really like the spice on the nose it has a peppery quality to it.  The overall bouquet is more involved than the first day.  The mouthfeel is a bit fuller and the spice note adds some character to the aftertaste.  I think the blackberry bite is more dominate today.  I’ll give it a 7 on my strength rating. 

This wine has been different with every glass.  My first glass, yesterday, I really liked the multi-berry blend on the taste.  The second glass was wishy washy.  One moment it was dark berry like with little spice box and a touch thin and then on the next few sips too thin and where did the taste go.  But, the acidity seemed to attack the back of the palate and aftertaste.  The third glass, today, I really like its style.  I don’t get the multi-berry taste but, the blackberry note is tasty and the spice profile is more involved like I said. 

So, when I open the next bottle of this wine (I bought two) I am going to decant it (properly) for 30 minutes before my first glass.  I  am going to give this next bottle six more months in the bottle to help it balance. 

I do like this bottle of wine.  I believe it is young in the bottle and has some good potential over the next couple of years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment