Like This

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Bowers Harbor 2896 Langley 2010: Review



Bowers Harbor Vineyards
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Meritage Blend of: 60% Cabernet Franc, 39% Merlot, 1% Cab Sauvignon
$60.00 a bottle

Appearance: Rich ruby red; kind of light looking for a big Meritage – 60 bucks qualifies as ‘big’.

Aroma: nice berries, some red mixed with some dark berries, very light spice

Flavors: little blackberry, black plum, black currant mixed with a little tart cranberry and cherry; light earth,

Mouthfeel: light for a Meritage; thin in spots, lacks depth and character;

My Strength Rating: 5 – medium at best

To the Point: for $60 … pass; there are plenty of 20 to 25 dollar wines out there that are much better.  I did like the 2007 2896 Langley and the 45 bucks then had me on the edge but, I said yes it was worth it.  The 07 was far better than this one.  


1 comment:

  1. We bought ours at the wine/beer store a few miles from the winery for just over $40 a few years ago (the winery was selling for $60 at the time). Opened today (04/16/16) and I agree that the 2007 was a better year. We have a magnum of the 2008 that I'm itching to open (need more than me and the hubs for that one!). For the area, I feel this is one of the better wines, but is now too pricey for me (2012 is $75 online). With the way the prices are increasing for Traverse City wines, I have been looking at other wines at the same price point to see what is out there. I am from Michigan and want to support the wineries here, but I also need to watch the ole pocketbook ;)

    ReplyDelete