Like This

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Lang & Reed 2007 Cabernet Franc and Kaesler Stonehorse, Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvedre - 2006

Lang & Reed 2007 Cabernet Franc, North Coast Napa California


When I opened the bottle of Lang & Reed Cabernet Franc and poured a taster into my glass I notice that it is pretty light in structure. After giving the bottle a half-hour to breath and then using my wine funnel to pour a glass, I detect some cherry on the nose but not much spice. The profile seemed a little uninspiring for a Franc Wine. The cherry was light and not much else going on. Okay, cork the bottle and wait till later – tomorrow – why, because I went to the cigar store to hang with the boys for a couple of hours. When I got home I decided I would try another bottle of wine, Stonehorse: Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvedre. I love a good Cab Franc but I also love a good blended wine.
I poured a taste of the Cab Franc today and I really like the mouthfeel of this today. I would recommend if your Lang & Reed Cabernet Franc tastes on the light side of a Franc wine give it an hour or so in the decanter to build the profile up. I really like this now. The aroma is a little better and the mouthfeel is a lot better. The legs on the glass are strong. The black cherry and dark fruit notes come alive and the earthy structure just coats the palate and now I can scrape the grape flavors off my teeth with my tongue. This is not a complex Cab Franc which, you should tell by the brief description – Cherry. This would be good wine for drinking with friends while socializing or before dinner or lighter foods.


Kaesler Stonehorse, Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvedre - 2006


The glass I poured last night was very tasty. But, I saved the rest of the bottle for today. The berry taste is very strong. The tasting notes from http://www.kaesler.com.au/ say, that the wine ‘displays mulberries, blackberries and plum.’ My palate can’t break it down that well, but I do know this, I like the “Berry Taste” and it is dark berry in profile. I also like the light spice and the few whiffs of white pepper that I get along the way. There is also a nice earthy and slight smokiness that builds as the wine opens up. And, don’t forget the legs on the glass – they look strong. I also like to see the sediment as I pour the last few glasses of this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment