Like This

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

2008 Vintners Select


Black Star Farms
Suttons Bay, Michigan, USA
12% abv
$29.50 a bottle

The true blend is kept a secret from what I was told at the Black Star store in Traverse City.  They select grapes from some of their ‘micro-lots’ to create this tasty blend that has the Merlot grape as the main focus. 

Appearance: deep garnet with a ruby edge. 

Aroma: mixed dark berries with a nice touch of spice.

Flavors: to me blackberry jumps out front with a nice acidic touch, then throw in a dash of spice, a little smoky feel, and a bit of dark chocolate. 

Mouthfeel: good balance with the tannins and acidity, nice smooth leathery feel, lingering dark berries on the palate. 

My Strength Rating: 5.5 – medium and just on the edge of medium-full.

To the Point: this is a very tasty blend that is well worth the price.  Looking at their web site they are out of the 08 and they have the 09 in stock.  I am looking forward to picking up the 09 this winter when I make my next visit to the Traverse City area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment