Like This

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bry’s Sauvignon Blanc 2010: Review


Bry’s Estate Vineyards & Winery
Old Mission Peninsula
Traverse City, Michigan, USA

14% abv
100% Sauvignon Blanc
No Vintage Date on the Bottle
Release Date: 7-22-11
$18.00


Here is what they say on their web site:
“…perfect summer wine.  Bold grapefruit flavors give crisp acidity while gooseberry and grassy notes bring depth and delicacy to this wine with a luscious mid-palate.”

Interesting that they have gooseberry as a tasting note for during the summer I picked up some gooseberry at the Port Austin Farmers Market to see what it tastes like.  When I told the vendor what I was doing with them she said, “I didn’t know anybody made wine with gooseberry.”  I tried to explain how tasting notes work but, she was stuck on making fruit wine.  

All I remember is it was kind of plain.  The skin and stem made it hard to eat for it was chewy. 

Appearance: crystal straw

Aroma: a mild-medium pineapple note this is softened by fresh pear and maintained by a note of the meat of red grapefruit.

Flavors: the meat of red grapefruit dominates the taste while the pear and honeydew melon notes help soften the flavor. 

Mouthfeel: while there is a mild-medium tart bite from the red grapefruit note there is a touch of sweetness underneath from the other fresh fruit notes.  There is a lingering warmth probably from the alcohol.  The long aftertaste of fresh red grapefruit and pear is pleasing. 

This will be interesting how this wine ages over the next couple of years.  The alcohol is a little more involved than I would like.  It feels like it is raising my body temperature.   

My Strength Rating: 4.5 – I added .5 for the alcohol warmth

To the Point: a tasty Blanc.  I’ll bet is will settle in the next couple of months.   For it was just released on 7-11.  I would buy another bottle or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment