Like This

Monday, November 29, 2010

Uppercut 2007 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and Dark Berry Lamb Chops


Vinted and Bottled by: Uppercut
Sonoma, California, USA
14.2% abv
UppercutWine.com

The description on the bottle sounds wonderful, “…an elegant, dark-fruit character and velvety texture. The rich, expansive flavors abound with lush blackberry, black cherry and cocoa expressions, while hints of caramel and spice from barrel aging linger on the fruit-imbued finish.”

I sure hope this wine lives up to its description.

I am opening this bottle long before dinner to see how it tastes. On the nose there are dark berry fruits with some spice. The taste has a good blackberry and dark cherry taste but, the alcohol gives a bit of a burn. So, this wine needs to be decanted to help it to open up. I am going to let the bottle sit for 20 minutes before decanting and then it should be ready while I cook dinner.

Lamb chops are on the menu for dinner tonight. Here is how I am preparing them. I am using Fustini’s oils and vinegars (Fustinis.com). I coat the baking dish with Chipotle Extra Virgin Olive Oil and then add the chops. I then pour on some Pomegranate Balsamic and Black Currant Balsamic Vinegar. Then I add a ½ teaspoon of Cranberry Juice Concentrate on to each lamb chop with a dusting of white pepper. During the final five minute I will pour a Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce over the chops.

The side is Camargue French Red Rice which has a wonderful aroma and taste that is earthy and nutty. This should be a fine pairing with the lamb.  I will make a bed of this rice on the plate then place the chops on top of the rice.

It is time to start cooking. Let’s check in with the wine first. Oh yes, the alcohol burn is not as noticeable. The nose is now mainly dark berries and the spice has settled. The taste is even better now. The blackberry, currant, and dark cherry profile is yummy, the alcohol burn is gone, and I get that cocoa expression that they described. I am not finding the hint caramel but the spice note is like a green peppercorn and pink peppercorn blend. The texture is lush and rich. The aftertaste carries a lingering black currant, 65% dark chocolate, and a touch of oak. I am sure happy it takes 50 minutes to prepare the rice.

Now it is show time. I sure hope the food taste good now.

The flavor on the lamb chops is just wonderful and the Camargue French Red Rice is the perfect fit for this meal.  As for the wine, I don't think I could have planned any better than this Cabernet.  As this wine opened up there was this great mocha flavor that was just terrific.
This wine is a must buy.  I believe the bottle cost $29.00 at the Fine Wine Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment