Like This

Friday, April 2, 2010

A Wine Review: Fess Parker 2005 Syrah Santa Barbara County

Just this past year I bought 2 different seasons of Daniel Boone (the TV show), season 4 and 6, and what a great television show. As far as I am concerned there is not much on TV that is worth my time. But, when I watched the old Daniel Boone show it took me back in time. Back in time for the setting of the show and back in time when I was a kid and watched this show.

Then, one day I was at my ‘new’ favorite beer store and I was checking out the wines and there it was, a Fess Parker Syrah on the shelf. Of course, I had to buy it. I was impressed with the wine. Then, the other Thursday I went back to the store to buy some more and they only had one bottle of Syrah and one bottle of Pinot, so I bought them both. Later that day my wife called me and told me that Fess Parker had passed away earlier that day. So tonight, I am having this bottle to thank Fess Parker for making some great wine and also the great memories from his acting career.

Now, onto the wine!For a wine that is going to run you around $25, this is a great buy. I really like this wine. The big berry taste is directly up front. If you like blackberry and dark cherry this is it. The spice profile, feels like white pepper, dances on the tongue and that helps to build that medium – medium-full mouthfeel. The appearance is very dense. When held to the light you are not going to see through it. And, the denseness of the appearance translates to the mouthfeel. The big berry taste just coats the palate like jam. There is a nice sweetness and dryness to the mouthfeel that makes you want to just lick your chops and enjoy the experience. And then, you want to take another sip and the nice aroma of spice and berry hits the nose. As I thought, from the first time I had a bottle of this wine, this is a must buy for the red wine lover, the Syrah lover and oh yeah, the Fess Parker (Daniel Boone) lover!

No comments:

Post a Comment