Like This

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

M Lawrence Sandpiper: Review


Sparkling Wine
Extra Dry
Batch #30
12% abv
$11.00 a bottle
L. Mawby
Suttons Bay, Michigan, USA

If you get a chance to visit this winery you will be greeted with a complimentary glass of bubbly.  The first glass is Sandpiper.  This is, let’s say, the middle of the road from very dry to sweet bubbly.  After this glass they will ask you if you want to go drier or sweeter and they offer you a second glass.  From there you head to the tasting bar and sample some more for a little tasting fee. 

There are two different line-ups.  The M. Lawrence and the L. Mawby lines.  On their web site it says, “Our M. Lawrence sparkling wines are produced in the cuve close method, are given less aging, and are less costly than the method champenoise sparkling wines.”  The L. Mawby line uses the ‘method champenoise’ and are aged longer. 


When I visited this winery I bought four different sparkling wines.  I’ll start with the Sandpiper just like they do.  I’ll also be reviewing SEX, Consort, and Detroit.  I am looking forward to trying all of their sparkling wines – they have 15 different ones. 


Let’s get to the review:

Appearance: fizzy straw

Aroma: fruity nose that is very pleasing.  Apricot and pear is the best I can come up with. 

Flavors: ripe pear, fresh apple and tart apple, with the oak hitting the back of the palate.  On the Lmawby web site they call it ‘sweet/tart’ and I can see (taste) why. 

Mouthfeel: wonderful fizz, dry on the finish, the fizz continues to tingle the palate on the aftertaste. 

Overall: I really like this bubbly.  Nice taste, good effervescence and what a price! Only $11.00 


SEX is next

1 comment:

  1. An excellent wine, I would like to purchase a few bottles, can I find them throughout Michigan?

    ReplyDelete