Like This

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

JT Red Wine 2011: Review

Vineyards at Bowers Harbor
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Old Mission Peninsula
Blend: 50% Merlot; 50% Cabernet Franc; both from Big Paw & Wind Whistle Vineyards
12% abv
$18.00

Appearance: very light translucent red.  Seems like the Michigan red wines that I have reviewed from the 2010 and 2011 vintages have all been very light in color.  I can go back to the 08 and 09 vintages on this blog and they have a deeper garnet body color. 

Aroma:  super faint, non-descript berries, and a touch of spice.

Flavors: thin berries, a little raspberry and a touch of cranberry,

Mouthfeel: thin, light body, not much on the aftertaste,

Let me spin it: a nice red to have with fish or a sandwich or even a fish sandwich.  Actually, this would work on a summer day.  I like big and bold reds so, in the summer I do not drink too many reds, this wine would do the job in the summer for its light body and thin style. 


To the Point: The 2011 JT Red is just too thin.  Personally, I would not buy this vintage again.  I am disappointed for I enjoyed the 08’s and 09’s from this winery so; I was looking forward to tasting their newer vintages.  You have to remember these are handmade and nature made.  With some bad summers in the last few years – and wow – think of 2012 summer – total crap from the bad spring.  This is sad, for Michigan was making some very good red wines. 

I am still stopping by Bowers when I make it into the Traverse City area.    



Their dog Brix greets my dogs

My hound Annie sings Brix a song.  My Corgi in the front seat
and my Mutt just behind Annie.



No comments:

Post a Comment