Like This

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Zenato Ripassa Valpolicella Superiore 2007: Review

I have always liked a good glass of Valpolicella. A lot of them are mild-medium in body. Along with that lighter body there is a solid berry or fruity aroma and the taste usually follows suit. This makes it a yummy wine that most people can enjoy.

Now, when I took a sip of this one I was surprised. If I did not have the bottle in front of me I would never guess Valpolicella. Two words are on the bottle to let you know that this is going to have a little more body than your average Valpolicella. First, Ripassa, meaning that the grapes go thru a slight re-fermentation which, helps to increase the alcohol and adds a little more body to the final product. This wine is then stored in tanks for 6 months before being moved to smaller oak barrels for 18 – 24 months. The second word on the bottle is Superiore. The Superiore label will mean that it has an abv of 12% or more. In the case of this bottle it is 14%. Watch out because this wine does not feel like it’s 14%.

The color is a deep amethyst with ruby hues on the edges. The nose on this wine is very berry and fruity. The wine has a wonderful taste. A variety of dark berries, blackberry, black currant, and blue berries greet the palate. There is a nice 80% dark chocolate quality that helps to add some character. At times I get a nice sweet grape taste on the edge that is then mingled with the fuller dark black berry and currant twang. To me this wine has a nice rich and thick body for a Valpolicella. I really like this wine. This is a must try and I am going to buy some more. I believe it is from Everyday Wines in Kerrytown, Ann Arbor, Michigan. From memory – I think it was around $14.00 a bottle. At that price this is a great buy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Zenato Ripassa for 14 bucks, I should do me wine shopping in Ann Arbor Mich. I would be happy with this product for that price, it has gotten more expensive in the last 5 years or so and in my opinion the quality has not been the same it was in previous vintages, '02, 2002 and I even recall the '99. I used to enjoy this wine but never went back to it after the '04 vintage, when it went up in price and didn't actually impress me at all. Maybe I will give it another shot...

    ReplyDelete