Like This

Friday, February 25, 2011

A.Mano 2007 Primitivo: Review

13.5% abv
A Mano SRL
Italy

Bought this bottle while out to dinner last night. In a retail store I believe it still sells for around $11.00 a bottle. Not a bad price for a grape that is grown on 100 year old plus vines.

This bottle has the twist off cap. The aroma is of light red berries. The taste is pretty simple – red berries (raspberry stands out and red currant). Interesting, for this wine usually has some good Zinfandel qualities. I’ll save half the bottle and take it home and try it tomorrow. Mild-medium in body. I’ll give it a 3.5 on my strength scale tonight.

Let’s give it another try today. Nice medium to dark ruby color with lighter ruby highlights. A nice delicate spice on the nose with a little toasty note mingled in with the light red berry note that was present last night.

The nose has picked up a little bit so, let’s see how the flavor is doing. A bit more structure today. To me this is much better than last night. The raspberry note is still there with a good tart cherry profile today mixed with a sweet cedar like taste.

I am going to go with a 4 on my strength scale today.

This 07 is not bad. It is much better than the 02. I am going to search around for some other vintages and if I find them I’ll be posting them.

Don’t run to the store to find this one but, if you come across it and it is $10 or under it’s worth a try. Remember, decant it for a good half hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment