Like This

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Cooper’s Hawk 2008 Cabernet Merlot and Camacho Legend Ario Bertha Maduro: Pairing


The Wine

Cooper’s Hawk 2008 Cabernet Merlot

Cooper’s Hawk Vineyards
Harrow, Ontario, Canada
Coppershawkvineyards.com
VQA Lake Erie North Shore
Blend: 60% Cabernet Franc and 40% Merlot
16 months in oak
14% abv
$15.75 Canadian

Two winters ago I went to the London Ontario Wine and Food Show and Cooper’s Hawk was there to promote their wines even though they were about six months away from opening their winery.  I try this wine at that show and liked it.  So, last year when I finally made it to their winery I pick this one up. 

Appearance: rich garnet

Aroma: very nice peppery spice on the nose with some dark berries

Flavors: a focus on blackberry and a squirt of tart cherry with a bit of dark currant; nice touch of spice upfront,

Mouthfeel: mild-moderate blackberry acidity, tingling spice, nice lingering tart cherry.  The first few sips came across thin and then seemed to develop a little body along the way.  Once in a while a little watery edge appears. 


My Strength Rating: 4.5 – medium overall

To the Point: a decent blend, some tasty notes and some thin spots, I do like it, I think this is pretty damn good for their first bottle on the market for this new winery. 


The Cigar

This cigar has been around for so long I don’t even remember who’s it is.  All there is is a foot ring band.  I think eventually they put a regular band on the cigar. 

LA is on the label and Prima Calidad.  I think it was or is a Camacho Cigar.  Let me do some looking.

Oh yes, Camacho Legend Ario Bertha Maduro
Size: 6 x 60 Toro Granda

Flavor Profile: heavy earth, dark roast coffee, toasty hardwood, and a good touch of spice.  Constant correction was need to keep it burning evenly.   I think I’ll give it an 8 on my strength rating scale. 

I remember now, I use to really like this smoke back when it came out (before I started blogging this stuff).  I found it deep down in the humidor tonight and said, what is this?  And, I thought a good maduro would go well with this Cab Merlot wine.  Now, I just wonder if they even make this stick any more.  I sure like it, still. 


The Pairing


This cigar really helps this wine.  The tasty dark berry style of the wine seems to develop a little more body while enjoying this smoke.  That watery edge that showed up now and then seems to be missing during this pairing. 

This wine also helps the cigar.  This is a good medium-full to full bodied smoke and this wine really helps to refresh the palate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment