Like This

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Traverse City Wine Tour



Planning to Visit

After tasting a couple of white wines from the Traverse City area this summer I had to make a visit to the area to do a little wine tasting.  I am a red wine slappy and Michigan Red Wines don’t have the best reputation (the vines where young then).  Michigan White Wines have been very good for quite a while.  I have heard here and there that Michigan Reds are better now.  The few that I have had over the last few years have been okay at best.  But, that is buying them from the grocery store or party store down state Michigan.  I think I need to get to the wineries to find out for myself. 

I am going on this journey to see firsthand how Michigan Red Wines are doing.  Small wineries usually have their best stuff in house.  And some of these small Michigan wineries we don’t know anything about because they don’t sell their wines out to the big market.  I have to admit that I do not know what I am getting myself into on this visit. 

On my first day I am planning to visit the ‘East Arm’ peninsula (Old Mission) and then go to the ‘West Arm” peninsula (Leelanau) on the second day. 

The Visit

Here are the wineries that I visited on Old Mission Peninsula

Black Star Farms – they have three locations Traverse City (the Commons), Old Mission, and Leelanau. 
Bowers Harbor Vineyards
Bry’s Estate
Peninsula Cellars

Didn’t have time to make it to
Two Lads Winery – I did have a glass of their wine at Stella’s Restaurant
Chateau Grand Traverse
Chateau Chantal

Here are the wineries that I visited on Leelanau Peninsula

Black Star Farms (you need to visit this location)
This is where they have the Inn, the Market Restaurant, petting farm, and tasting room of course.  It is one beautiful location. 

L. Mawby
Shady Lanes

It looks like they have close to 18 wineries on this route. 

The Aftermath of the Visit

I bought 40 bottles of wine during this trip and I plan to do some reviews on these babies.  28 Michigan wines to be reviewed in the coming months right here at WinePostings. (the 12 other bottles were doubles or triples of what I liked)  

I have to say I was impressed.  I had low expectations for the red wines and I was really surprised.  And, my expectation for the whites was met – there are some nice white wines coming from these wineries.  I did not sample any fruity wines and I only sampled one Hard Cider (at Left Foot Charles) and it was excellent.  I am going to have to check out some of the Hard Ciders on my next visit.  Anybody what to go? 

I’ll post a complete list of wines to be reviewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment