Like This

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bry’s Cabernet Franc 2008: Review


Bry’s Estate Vineyard & Winery
Old Mission Peninsula
Estate Grown
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
brysestate.com
13.8% abv
$30.00 a bottle
Aged 10 to 13 months in French Oak

On the bottle, “This northern Michigan red will surprise you with its upfront fruitiness, intense color and everlasting flavors on the palate.”

This winery is planted on the Old Mission Peninsula and you can take in a nice little view of the bay. 

Inside the tasting room you get your first sample free and then it is $5.00 and you get to sample a few more wines AND keep the wine glass. 


Appearance: as I was pouring the first glass you can see the bright and brilliant ruby color as it was splashing and swirling around the bottom of the wine glass. 


Aroma: a mix of red and dark berries with a touch of spice.  The nose was fairly faint overall.  I was expecting a little more.


Flavors: on the first few sips it comes across like a grape concentrate.  So, I swirled the glass a few times and then let it sit for a few moments while I set up for doing this review.  Then a few more swirls and the next sip showed a little improvement.

The flavors remind me of: red cherries, pomegranate, black cherry, red and black currants, and touch of spice box.  I keep waiting for some oak but, it think the tart cherry note may be hiding it from the taste buds. 


Mouthfeel: tart twang on the tongue, lingering tasty berries and cherries.

My Strength Rating: 6 – the tart style makes the score.


To the Point: a decent Cab Franc.  Nothing to write home about.  Too much on the tart cherry note for me.  I like my Franc’s to be stronger in the dark berry with a solid earthy style, and firm spice to add some character.   

No comments:

Post a Comment