Like This

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Genesis 2007 Meritage

14.4% abv
The Hogue Cellars
Prosser, Washington, USA

This Meritage covers four different grapes from the Columbia Valley region: Merlot 49%, Cabernet Sauvignon 44%, Malbec 6%, Cabernet Franc 1%

The bottle reads, “…juicy berry, cherry and plum flavors and oak, spice and cocoa on the finish.”

I am opening this bottle of wine tonight (11:00pm) to taste it and see if it will be a good match with my filet mignon dinner that I am planning tomorrow.

The first sip seems to have a bite. Little bigger sample and it seems too astringent. This wine needs to breath before sampling. So, I aerate the next sample and swirl it in the glass a little longer and it is still on the harsh side. Maybe, I should have waited another year before opening this bottle – too late, it’s open.

The wine does have a nice dark purple body with some nice ruby highlights on the edges. The aroma is of tart cherry.

I’ll cork it and test it tomorrow. I am going to open another to be ready.

Next day’s notes:

The hash notes are down but, this is a full tasting Meritage wine. Dark strong fruit flavors dominate. I don’t pick up any particular spice or pepper notes. There is a heavy soil earth taste. Overall I am not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment