Like This

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Incredible Red 2008 Zinfandel: Review

Peachy Canyon Incredible Red 2008

Central Coast Zinfandel
Peachy Canyon Winery
Paso Robles, California, USA
13.9% abv
$24.00 Restaurant Price

Appearance: rich purple body

Aroma: dark berries, cherry, on the light-moderate side, nothing special

Flavors: when I had this at the restaurant I thought it tasted like a Syrah and not a Zin.  With notes of mild blackberry, mulberry, tobacco, and light earthy tone.  Tasted like a cheap 9 or 10 dollar bottle. 

Later, when I was at home I thought the Zinfandel started to show up.  I’ll have to look this one up.  I’ll bet it is a blend which, that’s what I thought it would be.  The notes seemed like the cherry was coming through and the dark berry followed the dark cherry; along with a little herb and spice dancing around.  There is a slight creamy dark chocolate (50% like).    It just seems to lack a little character.  A bit thin at times. 

The second day: I think it tastes better today.  The body is a little firmer with some structure to it.  Yesterday, I thought is seemed a little light and a little thin at times.  The flavors are working together today.  I still get the black cherry and a bit of dark berry, there is a touch or raspberry, the earthy note is moderate at best, and along the way an oaky note developed but, it is just a hint of oak. Oh yeah, the slight creamy dark chocolate note is still swirling around.  I am not picking up any spice.  The mouthfeel is pleasingly smooth with a decent aftertaste of dark cherry, berry, and a semi-creamy feel. 

To the Point: Not bad, good for a bottle that should retail around $10 a bottle.  If, you are looking for an everyday wine or if you have a group of people over this might work for you.  Make sure to decant and let stand for 45 minutes before severing. 

Just looked it up: Blend of 82% Zinfandel, 10% Petite Sirah, and 8% Syrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment