Like This

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Penfolds BIN 128 Shiraz 2006: Review


Coonawarra
Penfolds Wines
Australia
14.5% abv
$29.90

I have not had this wine in years, it has to be eight or ten, and I am looking forward to enjoying this fine red wine.  I have always liked BIN 128 and 28 Shiraz.

Appearance: black-purple with a purple rim

Aroma: pepper mill mix spice, earthy tones, splendid floral and underneath all this is a rich dark berry note.

Flavors: nice pepper mill mix – it is like I can taste the sweet pink peppercorn, the musty white, spicy green and the citrus spicy black peppercorns; there is an enjoyable thick earthy tone of soil and oak wood; black plum skin, cherry and dark berries.  To me this is not a fruit forward wine – it is earth and spice forward. 

Mouthfeel: thick, bold, mouth-coating, jammy, spicy, lingering dark berry and spice on the aftertaste, full-medium feel

To the Point: just as I remember maybe even better. A very good to excellent bold Shiraz.  I enjoyed the first glass with my dinner – a French demi-glazed shitake mushroom Filet Mignon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment