Like This

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Wine Review: Colio CEV Gamay Noir 2008

12.1% abv
$15.75 Canadian
Harrow, Ontario, Canada
Colio Estate Vineyards
Coliowinery.com
My Strength Rating: 4

Here is the description on the bottle, “Scents of dark cherry, cedar spice, and strawberry pie foretell the dark cherry, cranberry and pomegranate finish.”

The Gamay pours a pretty ruby color. This wine has one tasty bouquet. I get the dark cherry and spice. I don’t know about the strawberry pie but, this wine has a very tasty berry presence. The aroma is much better than I expected from the light appearance.

The taste does follow the nose. There is a very pleasing dark cherry and red berry flavor that dominates the profile. I also pick up that cedar spice on the taste and I notice it more on the nose now as the wine opens up. And, as a cigar guy I like that cedar note. The other spices on the palate remind me of a mixture of fine grind green, white, and pink peppercorns. I could agree with sweet cedar on the taste, but, to me it is lacking the woody character. That is why I am calling it the pepper mill mixture that I described. The acidity and tannins are low.

This wine would be nice with a salad dish, turkey or a portabella mushroom cap.

This is a must buy in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment