Like This

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Muscedere 2010 Riesling vs Bower Harbor 2010 Riesling


Michigan Riesling vs. Ontario Riesling


First Up: Muscedere Vineyards 2010 Riesling
Coming from: Harrow, Ontario, Canada
11.8% abv
$16.00 a bottle

Appearance: bright straw

Aroma: very faint, fresh apple, and let’s call it sweet apple blossom.  You will have to swirl that glass a bit and get the nose down in there. 

Flavors: a mix of fresh apple, maybe a touch of tart apple, and the acidity is giving it a little citrus squeeze. 

Mouthfeel: the acidity is a touch more than I would expect and it comes across like a citrus note. 

To the Point: I don’t know if I would guess Riesling here but, it is a tasty little white wine.  The more I drink it the more I like it.  I would pair this with shellfish – lobster, shrimp, and mussels – oh yes; cook some mussels with this that would be perfect. 

Why would I not guess Riesling?  I think for one it is the apple focus and not peach like and I am not picking up that classic petrol or mineral like quality.  So what – pick up a bottle and you’ll like it. 


Next up: Bowers Harbor Vineyards 2010 Riesling
Coming from: Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Langley Vineyard on Old Mission Peninsula
10.5% abv
$19.00 a bottle

Appearance: looks just like the Ontario wine – a bright straw color

Aroma: oh, that nice touch of mineral or the good old term of petrol,

Flavors: white peach like on the delivery, washed stone mineral note, a little honeysuckle, just a wee hint of citrus (actually, I think that is more on the aftertaste) and a sweet finish with a touch of petrol on the aftertaste. 

Mouthfeel: a nicely balanced white wine, the acidity seems undercontrol, a lingering touch of sweet citrus with a hint of petrol

To the Point: a nice display of the Riesling grape, very tasty and I think I’ll do this with my fish dinner tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment