Like This

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Calluna Vineyards 2008 Red Wine: Review

Calluna Vineyards
Santa Rosa, California, USA
$29.00 at The Fine Wine Source

I am going to have to ask an expert in the wine industry but, I believe that a winery has to pay for the name ‘Meritage.” And, that brings up the point that so many bottles today have the name ‘Red Wine’ on the bottle instead of ‘Meritage.’ Is it the sign of the economy? These bottles are usually from 2007 or 2008. Maybe it is just me or maybe wineries are not paying for the name Meritage.

Any who, Calluna Vineyards Cuvee has a great ‘blend’ here: 44% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, 23% Cab Sauvignon, 7% Malbec, and 1% Petit Verdot. The five classic grapes used in a Bordeaux and could use the name Meritage.

Aroma:
Some nice ruby highlights shine through this plum colored body. The nose is soft earth and soft dark berry with a hint of smokiness. Nothing special on the nose but, it is only a 2008 bottle it may mature into something good.

Personally, I like these blends when they have four or five of the grapes involved and when they have a higher percentage of Cab Franc in the blend. This is just my personal preference but, I like the earthiness and the tart red fruits that a Franc grape brings to the game. I like to see 20% or more of Franc in the blend and especially when there is a higher percentage of Merlot in the mix like this wine. Just a personal thing.

Body:
The first thing I notice when drinking the first glass is the texture of this wine. It is medium-mild, smooth, with an almost crisp like feel. There is a nice lingering aftertaste that helps to maintain that medium body profile. The acidity seems low to moderate as well with the tannins.

This coming summer when you attend your local farmers markets you will have to look for some currants to buy. This past summer I found a vendor who had some and this was a good experience to taste some fresh red and black currants.

Taste:
Speaking of currants, this wine has a nice black currant profile. There is a soft red raspberry note, some mossy earth, a little tobacco, an undertone of oak, and a little watery edge on the palate. I cannot think of the last time I noticed a watery edge on a good red wine but, here it is.

I personally think this wine is just showing its immaturity. From what I taste here today I am thinking that it will be really good in 2013.

And with that thought, I just sold myself on a few bottles to put in the 2013 section of the cellar.

Next Day Tasting:
The black currants are a little fuller, the earthiness is a little thicker, and I don’t notice that watery edge today.

Wow, four days after opening:
Smelled safe.  Quick sip - not bad, ok, I'll ty another sip - uhm, it is better tasting today than the other days.  I have one glass left in this bottle I guess i'll finish it.  I thought this was going on the plants outside - I don't remember the last time I had a bottle make it past two days. 


I still think this is a wine you buy today to keep for a couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment