Like This

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Frontier Red: Review


Barbecue Edition
Lot No. 122
NV
California Red Wine

Fess Parker Winery
Santa Maria, California, USA
14.9% abv
$10.00 a bottle (case price)
I purchased this at the Fine Wine Source in Livonia Michigan.

This NV – no vintage wine had me interested when I sampled it at Jimmy’s store. 

I have to say that for a 10 dollar bottle and a no vintage on top of that this is one damn good bottle of red wine. 

Appearance: this has one dark body for a wine at this price, deep purple with a shiny ruby edge.

Aroma: this is one complex aroma for any price.  It is just a guessing game waiting to happen – ‘what do you smell’.  Big time berry bowl – I’ll call it black cherry, black currant, boysenberry; a nice touch of spice – a little pinch of sage and white pepper; there is a good smoky note and it also reminds me of a fresh box of cigars in a quality cedar box and with 800 cigars in my humidor I think I know that smell. 

Flavors: this is not one of those wines that just fool you with a nice bouquet and then quits on the flavor.  Take all those notes from the nose and add a little sweet 50% dark chocolate and a touch of hardwood.

Fess Parker Played Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett in Movies and TV Shows 

To the Point: this wine tasted really good in the store and so good that I bought a case.  I think I’ll get another one if there are any left.  (Jimmy save me a case)  If you ever see this one don’t buy just one bottle you will be disappointed if you do.  Dollar to Taste = Value; and that means this is the best value out there.  Most $10.00 bottles I water the grass with them.     

Here are the Vineyard Notes:
73% Camp Four Vineyard in the Santa Ynez Valley, 20% Schied Vineyards in Monterey County, 4% French Camp Vineyard in Paso Robles, 3% Rodney’s Vineyard in the Santa Ynez Vallery.

Here is the blend:
40% Syrah, 20% Merlot, 18% Grenache, 9% Petite Sirah, 5% Mourvedre, 4% Cinsault, 2% Caringnane, 2% Tempranillo.  I think they should have found one or two more grapes to add this assemblage of fine grapes.  I wish they put the years to each of the grapes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment