Like This

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Arcturos 2010 Sur Lie Chardonnay


Old Mission Peninsula
Capella Vineyards
Black Star Farms
12% abv
$18.00 Hillers
$15.50 on BSF web-site
Traverse City, Michigan, USA

Appearance: straw

Aroma: pear and apple seem to be the main profile with a touch of tropical to keep things interesting.

Flavors: stunning display of pear, fresh apple, with a squirt of tart apple, and I am going to throw in almond.  Oh, I have a touch of tropical on the nose so; let me see what is going on with that in the taste.  Yes, let me describe it this way; a squirt of red grapefruit with a squirt of pineapple (vodka optionalJ) blend them together and you get this tropical acidic touch that is not dominate but is a good role player. 

Mouthfeel: nice acidic structure but, still has a good hint of sweet fruit.  The mouthfeel has a moderate tingle from the tart fruit notes but, still has a semi-creamy butter almond feel.  The finish is dry and pleasing on this 80 degree day here in the Tip of the Thumb of Michigan. 

My Strength Rating: 5 – very good character; nice complexity for a simple Chardonnay.

When I had their Riesling the other week I wanted to get over to their winery – Now, that I have had their Chardonnay, I am really itching to get over to their winery. 

I have to admit that doing these wine reviews have opened my eyes to wines that I would not even look at or if I did try them I would discount them right away – just because of my pure subjective perception. 

This wine is case n’ point.  I am not a big white wine drinker but, when I use to have one it would ‘have to be’ an oaked chardonnay.  Now, when I am doing my wine and beer reviews, I try to put my subjectivity on the sideline and play the game of ‘reviewer’ with an objective pair of spectacles.  Now, I have a better understanding of other wines beyond ‘what I like’.  The down side: I like more wines! 

No comments:

Post a Comment