Like This

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sanson Bacobama: Review


Red/White Blend
No Vintage
12% abv
Sanson Estate Winery
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
$14.00 Canadian
My Strength Rating: 3

This is a blend of Baco Noir and a touch of white wine (probably Vidal). 

Okay, I have to admit I do not have much hope for this wine.  Like its name sake it is probably all style (nice label) and no substance.  If you believe in Obama’s substance then, if you are in debt, come on over and buy as many cases of this wine as possible.  According to the President if you are in debt you can spend your way out of it.  Great idea! 

Now, I do have some hope for this wine.  I did try it at the Sanson Winery and it was okay.  My Obama loving sister thought it was very good. 

This red/white blend has a nice purple color and a light very-berry aroma.  To me this wine has a nice black raspberry taste, a light plum, there seems to be a little strawberry swirling around, a light mouthfeel, and a bit of dark berries lingering on the back of the palate. 

I have to admit this – I liked this wine.  While, I did rate this on my strength scale as a 3 it is not thin or watery. 

At first I could not figure out the flavor then, it hit me that I have tasted this before.  So, I went to the cellar and opened up a jar of black raspberry jelly that I bought from a local farmer in Port Austin Michigan and tasted the jelly.  Yep, that tastes like the flavor I was trying to figure out – black raspberry. 

Funny thing … I called my sister and asked her if she opened her bottle yet and she had … and she did not like it. 

The one thing you will notice about this bottle is that it does not have the VQA distinction.  VQA stands for Vinters Quality Alliance.  This is an organization for Ontario Wineries that meet quality standards for their wine.  One of the standards is that the grapes are grown in Ontario.  Sanson Estate grew these grapes at their vineyard in Ontario.  But, the organization probably does not recognize the blend of a red and white grape or they just did not have it's birth certificate for those grapes.  So, Sanson Estate says, this is their wine to ‘recognize change.’  Just like Obama said during his campaign, “Change.”  Well, Sanson Estate and the American’s found out that things just stay the same.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete