Like This

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Jackson-Triggs 2006 Meritage

Proprietor’s Grand Reserve
12.7% abv
Has the three classic Bordeaux grapes: Merlot 55%, Cabernet Sauvignon 27%, and Cabernet Franc 18%.

Jackson-Triggs Winery is located in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada. The last time I visited the winery had to be around 8 to 10 years ago. This region has some great wineries and this bottle was one of my favorites back then. I did not buy this bottle at the winery; I got it at the duty free store at the border of Canada. I personally don’t like to buy wine from the duty free stores because they have those blazing hot spot light beaming on the wine bottles 24 hours a day. I want to go back to Niagara-on-the-Lake sooo bad.

Back to the wine. On the bottle it reads: “…aromas of black currant, ripe raspberries and plums underscored with vanilla, cedar and spicy black pepper.” “…flavors of berries, chocolate, coffee and clove…”

Back in the 90’s when I use to visit there they had some very good vintages. I am looking forward to trying this wine. I wish I still had my computer from then – I would have my tasting notes about this wine.

The appearance is a deep ruby color. The aroma is of dark fruit with a nice raspberry presence. There is also a good spicy style to the smell as well.

The plum to me is on the taste not the nose to me. When I taste this I think of biting into a plum. There is also a blackberry and black currant bite along with a red berry called raspberry that adds some character to this flavorful wine. The fine black pepper notes are on the aftertaste along with a nice earthy coating on my palate. There is also a dusting of 85% dark chocolate that lingers on the palate. This is a fuller bodied red wine.

Okay, the first weekend of November I am heading to this winery. No I am not - I just put a new roof on and put in two new doors on the house.  Next year!

If you like wine this is a must go to location!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment