Like This

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Chateau Grand Traverse Gamay Noir 2008



Reserve Gamay Noir

Old Mission Peninsula
Traverse City, Michigan, USA

On the back of the bottle they describe the wine as, ‘aromatic and fruity with distinct tart cherry, red plum and black pepper flavors.’

I have to agree with what they have written here - The nose is aromatic, fruity and I am going to add spice to bouquet.  The tart cherry, red plum and a fine grind black pepper shows through on the flavor profile.  The appearance is a shiny crimson color.  The mouthfeel seems thin at times and I feel like something is missing with each sip.  Maybe I am picking up a watery edge that is interfering with the structure of the wine and that is making wine seem uninteresting.

Let me come back to this bottle in a day or two.


Two days later:
That watery edge seems to be gone.  Today, the flavors are melding together.  Besides the tart cherry, red plum and fine grind black pepper I am going to add cedar today.  There is a little cedar spice mixing in with the black pepper spice.  There is a lingering earthy and cedar tone on the palate.  Two days ago there was nothing on the aftertaste but, sheer boredom dancing alone on my tongue.   

This wine needs time to breath after opening. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment