Like This

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Wine Review: Terrazas de los Andes Reserva Malbec 2006

terrazasdelosandes.com
$15.00 a bottle
13.5% abv
Bodega Terrazas De Los Andes
Argentina

I love it when there are tasting notes written on the bottle. As a consumer that is important to me when I have not tasted the wine before. The notes give me an idea of what some of the flavors may be when I drink the wine. Yes, there have been times when I feel the description is dead on and there are times when I experience some of what they describe. I think with wine descriptions that they are pretty good to go by. One thing I think they are usually off on is the body description. They will say, “This full-bodied …,” and then I taste the wine and it is medium body at best.

Here is the description from the bottle:

Color: Deep, dark purple.

Aroma: Concentrated cherries, raisins and licorice together with toasted notes and vanilla. Hints of violets stand out, typical of Malbec.

Palate: Great intensity of fruit. Despite its concentration, it is soft with round tannins. It has great potential for ageing.


Let’s take a look

Color: this is a good looking deep purple color.

Aroma: Yes, it is a big cherry profile on the nose. A touch of spice and I could agree with a slight toasted note.

As for the raisins, licorice, and vanilla: raisins – no; I have to assume they are talking black licorice – ah, no; I have some really good black licorice and I checked it out – aaaah, it’s a stretch to me. Vanilla – a high quality vanilla extract aroma - aaah maybe , sweet vanilla no.

The aroma is very delightful though.

Palate: Bing cherry, black and red currants. They call it ‘great intensity of fruit,’ – it sure is. It is yummy.

The mouthfeel is soft and the tannins are tame. This is a very enjoyable wine to drink.

Give this Malbec a try – it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment