Like This

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Shady Lane 2008 Cabernet Franc: Review


Shady Lane Cellars
Suttons Bay, Michigan, USA
Leelanau Peninsula
12.9% abv
$18.00 a bottle

I thought this winery was a nice little find.  The century old stone building, which is the tasting room, was a chicken coop back in the days.  Going in the door from the driveway you will see a few bottles on display – at first I thought “oh-o, nothing much going on here.  Let’s say it was very unpretentious.  On the second level is the tasting bar/room with some racks of their wine.  Make sure to go to this level and sample a few different wines.  They do have a patio area for sitting and sipping on those nice spring, summer, and fall days. 

I was impressed with both their whites and reds that I tried.  I am not a blush wine lover – okay I am a hater.  I have not had too many that I like.  They had a blush that was pretty good. 

Let’s get to the review

Appearance: deep ruby or garnet body with rich ruby highlights. 

Aroma: rich dark berry mix, light spice, touch of floral

Flavors: black currant, raspberry bowl – red, black, yellow, pomegranate, light green spice feel, light soil earthy tone, dry cocoa powder

Mouthfeel: nice smooth delivery of mixed berries, the tannins and acidity seem undercontrol, nice acidic finish for a dry feel, moderately coats the palate

My Strength Rating: 6 – nice flavors, nice mouthfeel, very pleasing to drink

To the Point: only $18.00 for this Cab Franc – you can’t beat it.  I am a Cab Franc slappy and I like this baby.  It’s not big and bold and may not have that wow factor but, so what – it has a very pleasing style in taste and mouthfeel.  I’ll be buying a six pack next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment