Like This

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Peninsula Cellars 2002 Cabernet Merlot: Review


Peninsula Cellars
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Blend: Cab Franc 75%; Merlot 25%
12% abv

When I visited this winery they had a Library sale on this 2002 Cab Merlot blend.  I did get to sample the wine and it seemed good enough to buy one bottle and bring it home to do a review.  When I selected the bottle, at the winery, the worker said ‘you may want to sample it first’ which had me concerned but it was good to go.  He also said, ‘drink this bottle soon.’   Maybe the average wine drinker would not be in the market for this wine?

If you visit the Traverse City area this is a good place to stop by for a sample or two.  It is located on the Old Mission Peninsula in an old school house – how cool is that.


I wish that I have reviewed this wine before to know how it has progressed.

Appearance: still looking good; garnet body with a crystal rim; no brown edges – maybe a little amber edge; older wines will develop a brown edge

Aroma: good dark berries, smoke and earthy tones; as the wine opens a touch of cedar spice starts to play with the other notes; overall very nice; just from the nose I can say this wine will be nice with a fine cigar.


Flavors: nice blackberry, black currant, touch of cranberry and tart cherry, good soil earthy tone and nice oak and oak spice on the finish. 

Mouthfeel: a solid medium-full bodied wine; nice light tart berry notes linger on the palate, nice smooth flannel texture; nice, nice, and nice if you like red wine. 

To the Point: damn, I only bought one bottle, I like this wine, nice firm body, tasty notes, ready to drink soon as you open the bottle.  It seems like this wine has another year or two left in it … maybe more … maybe not.  This is a very good example of what Michigan Red Wines can offer. 

I heard from a couple of locals, ‘the Michigan reds are not that good … stay with the whites.’  I would like to share this red with them … they would change their mind.  I buy these wines on my dime.  Read my reviews, I will tell you if I like it or not. 

I have to say thank you to the workers for I stopped by at the time of closing and they were still very helpful.  They could have had the attitude of hurry up and get out of here but, they were still ready to help.  They were professional and pleasant even at the closing bell.  They did not make me write on the chalkboard 1,000 times that ‘I was late to class.’  

I just read my review on the 2007 Cab Merlot and this one is just as good as that one.    


No comments:

Post a Comment