Like This

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Alvear Pedro Ximenez Solera 1927: Review

Pedro Ximenez Solera 1927
Montilla, Spain


16% abv
Sherry

Appearance: looks like raisin juice or a deep mahogany if you like; long dripping syrupy legs hang on the glass


Aroma: thinking raisin, it smells like sweet raisins and fig; touch of chocolate and a light nutty note

Flavors: just like the nose

Mouthfeel: sweet; syrupy feel; light in body; short or thin on the aftertaste; the alcohol does not play a role in the taste or mouthfeel; a light spice, maybe from the alcohol, on the back; easy to drink


To the Point: a nice sherry; seems like a porto to me but, I don’t know a thing about sherry wines - I just say call it a Raisin Late Harvest, Late Harvest is just short of an IceWine; if I was going to grade this wine I would give it a solid B; short on the aftertaste, nice on the nose but nothing special, pleasing flavors; if you like dessert wines this is worthy of a bottle purchase


I’ll bet this pairs well with dark chocolate or a fine cigar.  I already have the cigar burning with this wine and I am going to get some dark chocolate. 

Just a side note: this is not a 1927 vintage. They make this sherry or raisin wine with the wood used from 1927 - so the belief is that it imparts some of the 1927.   


No comments:

Post a Comment