Like This

Friday, June 8, 2012

Wine Bottle Cooler: Review


I bought this wine cooler for around 20 bucks last December.  In January I did this test to see how well it actually works.  I had two bottles or Riesling from Blue Water Winery (one Dry and the other Semi-Dry) and I placed one in the cooler and left the other just sitting on the counter.  The house temperature was 66 degree on that January night.  I poured each one into a glass and measured the temperature on the half hour for a total of 2 hours.  So, let’s see if this helps to keep your bottle cooler than just sitting out on the counter. 

I opened the bottles at 8:00pm
The Semi-Dry poured at 46 degrees
The Dry poured at 47 degrees

Half Hour Later
The Semi-Dry (in the cooler) poured at 50 degrees
The Dry poured at 51 degrees

One Hour Later
The Semi-Dry (in the cooler) poured at 51 degrees
The Dry poured to the temperature of 56 degrees

One and One Half Hour Later
Semi-Dry 52 degrees
Dry 60 degrees


Two Hours
Semi-Dry 53 degrees
Dry 63 degrees

Two hours later the bottle in the wine cooler saw a temperature increase of 7 degrees, while the bottle just sitting on the counter increased 16 degrees.

I did not handle either bottle in-between the times.  I did drink each little pour of wine with some help from my wife. 

I started using this wine cooler for my large (750ml) bottles of beer and I have to say I was impressed. 

I am planning to do this experiment again on a warm/hot summer day.  So, stay tuned.  



Click here to read about the wines in this posting
Blue Water Dry Riesling
Blue Water Semi-Dry Riesling

No comments:

Post a Comment