Like This

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

CEV Gamay Noir 2008: Review


Colio Estate Vineyards
Harrow, Ontario, Canada
Lake Erie North Shore
12.1% abv
$14.00 a bottle Canadian
100% Gamay Noir

Here are the tasting notes as stated on the bottle: “Scents of dark cherry, cedar spice and strawberry pie foretell the dark cherry, cranberry and pomegranate finish.”

Appearance: ruby body with an amber-ruby edge and a crystal rim. 

Aroma: I like the cedar spice, cherry and currant nose.  I also get a little earthy tone here as well.

Flavors: Wow, on my first few sips (after swirling the glass) the cedar comes through.  It is like a cigar box cedar with each sip and sniff. And, I have smelled a few cigar boxes in my day.  Dark berries on the taste with some nice green peppercorn spice along with that cedar note and rich soil for the earthy tone. 

Mouthfeel: It started off feeling a little thin (on the first few sips after opening the bottle) and when it opened up (a few swirls of the glass) it filled out the palate.  There is a blackberry bite that greets the palate.  The cedar, spice and dark berries linger and cling to the palate.  I can feel it coating my teeth and gums.  Dry finish, tannins semi-smooth, acidity under control. 

My Strength Rating: 7 – truly coats the palate.

To the Point: You can’t go wrong with this $14.00 bottle.  Nice medium-full feel without being overwhelming.   

The wine held up just fine when I paired it with some 9 year old white cheddar and then a whole grain cracker with horseradish cheese. 

This wine should go well with a fine cigar.  Visit CigarPostings for the cigar pairing with this wine. 

I just noticed that I did a review of this wine back in January of this year.  Click here to read that review

No comments:

Post a Comment